Information about Cozumel
The Mayan nickname “Ah Cuzamil Peten” means “Land of Swallows”. Cozumel was an important pilgrimage site for believers of the sun god. It is the largest and most populated island in the Yucatan Peninsula region of Mexico.
The island known for its green vegetation, wild animals protected in the nature reserve, clear sea water, and white beaches, has been considered for many years one of the most touristic destinations in Mexico. Especially among diving enthusiasts – Cozumel is considered one of the best and most desirable diving destinations on the continent! Besides diving, Cozumel is an island full of attractions and mainly marine activities.
The main town on the island is called San Miguel. Located there are all the shops, restaurants, and the ferry station of Cozumel. It is important to note that at 19:00 many of the tourists leave the island. Almost all the shops, restaurants and places of entertainment are closed and there really isn’t much to do in the evenings.
The weather in Cozumel:
In principle, the seasons in the Caribbean region are divided into two – the dry season and the rainy season.
The dry season – is from December to the end of May. However, in the months of December-January, the temperatures are a little low (especially at night). The best time to go to the Caribbean is from the beginning of March to the end of May. These months are also hot and this is also considered a less rainy season.
The wet season – is from June to November. In the summer months, from June to August. These are the hottest months of the year, but also the rainiest. The heat and rainy days gradually decrease from September to November. This is a very unpredictable period in terms of weather. There can be good days and days a little less sunny.
It is important to remember that this is an area with a tropical climate. Therefore the weather is unstable and it is very difficult to predict several months ahead. It is always recommended to check the forecast before arriving.
How to get to Cozumel:
There are two ways to get to Cozumel Island:
By flight: This is the more expensive and less popular way. There is a small airport on the island which is served by flights from Cancun, Mexico City, USA, and Canada.
By ferry: You can board one of the local ferries that depart from Playa del Carmen. The ferry is the most popular and affordable way to get to Cozumel. The sailing time is about 30-40 minutes each way and the price is about $10 per person. You can find the hours of the ferry on one of the Facebook pages of the two ferry companies: WinjetMx, and Ultramar Ferry.
What to do in Cozumel:
• Diving and snorkeling in Cozumel: this is actually the most popular attraction on the island. Cozumel is known as one of the most highly regarded diving destinations in Central America. If you plan to take a diving course, keep in mind that you will have to stay on the island between 3-5 days (depending on the number of diving stars). If you haven’t taken a diving course, you can do a familiarization dive (up to 7 meters) together with an instructor. You can also see a lot of amazing things in a diving dive! One of the best places to dive is Palancar Reef, which rises from depths of up to 80 meters to shallows just below sea level at the southwestern tip of the island. A popular dive includes a large bronze figure of Jesus placed about 17 meters underwater. Other good dive spots are at San Francisco, Paraiso, Columbia, and Marcaibo reefs, as well as the Santa Rosa Wall. And wherever you dive, you are sure to see exotic species of fish, sharks, sea turtles, different varieties of corals, and much more. For those who don’t prefer diving, snorkeling is definitely another ideal option to enjoy the magical beauty of the sea in Cozumel.
• Rent a car and go for a trip around the island: many people like to rent a jeep and travel around the island. You can stop at the most beautiful spots of Cozumel. It is recommended to go to the points on the west and south side of the island where there are several amazing and comfortable beaches for swimming. The recommended ones are Paradise Beach, Playa Corona, Playa Palancar, and Playa Maya.
• Swimming with dolphins: One of the most enjoyable attractions on the island is swimming with dolphins. An amazing experience for all ages! The most popular site is Dolphinaris. It is recommended to book in advance.
• Tour to Passion Island: The tour to Passion Island has become one of the most popular attractions in Cozumel. The island, which is located in front of the northern part of Cozumel and is only one kilometer long, is considered a piece of paradise, quiet and unspoiled with white beaches and clear turquoise waters. As part of the tour, you can enjoy the island’s facilities for free.
• Tour to El Cielo: El Cielo in Cozumel is a sandbank that can only be reached by boat or catamaran. It is considered one of the most beautiful places in Cozumel. During the tour, you will find many starfish. There is also the possibility to snorkel and see sea turtles and different species of fish and corals.
• Water sports: Cozumel is the perfect place to do any water sports. Some of the most popular attractions are jet skis, flyboards, kayaks, windsurfing, and more.
Click here to go to the full list – Recommended Attractions in Cozumel
Hotels in Cozumel:
To really enjoy Cozumel, it is recommended to sleep in high-rated hotels with a beach and easy access to the best places for diving and snorkeling, and other tropical attractions.
Recommended Hotels in Cozumel:
– B Unique
– Presidente InterContinental
– Casa Malca
Click here to go to the full list – Recommended Hotels in Cozumel
Restaurants in Cozumel:
In Cozumel, you can find a wide variety of places to eat. From authentic local restaurants, street food stalls, well-known food chains, and cafes.
Recommended restaurants in Cozumel:
– Burrito Gordito
– La Terraza
– Buccanos Grill Beach Club
Click here to go to the full list – Recommended Restaurants in Cozumel
Nightlife in Cozumel:
Cozumel is considered a low-key destination in terms of nightlife. Most places of entertainment close after 19:00. However if you may want to go out on one of your evenings during your Cozumel vacation, there are a number of local pubs where you can hang out until the wee hours of the night.
Shopping in Cozumel:
When you’re ready for a break from the sun and the dives, take a stroll through the shops in the town of San Miguel to the Plaza del Sol. In Cozumel, you can find a wide variety of shops with Mexican handmade items. Clothing items, souvenirs, porcelain, duty-free perfumes, watches, fine diamonds, silver and gold jewelry (considered a good place to buy gold jewelry). You can also visit the mall located at the exit of Punta Lagosta anchorage.