Information about Holbox Island
Holbox Island is a real paradise located at the northwestern point of the Yucatan Peninsula. The island is considered special because of its “untouched” characteristics, and living on it gives you a feel of the combination between ancient times and today’s innovation. The island is made up of several paths of sand and an amazing stretch of beach with a combination of crystal-green water.
Because it is an island a little more distant from the other main destinations in the Caribbean, the island is considered a place you can go to relax, disconnect, enjoy nature, the beaches, and an endless feeling of freedom.
Despite the increase in popularity of the island among travelers coming to vacation in Mexico, the local residents are careful to maintain the authentic character of their island. This beautiful island, without paved roads, really inspires the relaxing tropical atmosphere that you will be looking forward to on your vacation.
The Weather in Holbox:
In principle, the seasons in the Caribbean region are divided into two – the dry season and the rainy season.
The dry season – is from December to the end of May. However, in the months of December-January, the temperatures are a little low (especially at night). The best time to go to the Caribbean is from the beginning of March to the end of May. These months are also hot and this is also considered a less rainy season.
The wet season – is from June to November. In the summer months, from June to August. These are the hottest months of the year, but also the rainiest. From September to November the heat gradually decreases and so do the rainy days. This is a very unpredictable period in terms of weather. There can be good days and days a little less sunny.
It is important to remember that this is an area with a tropical climate. Therefore the weather is unstable and it is very difficult to predict several months ahead. It is always recommended to check the forecast before arriving.
How do you get to Holbox?
To get to Holbox you will have to go to a small port town called Chiquilá.
Chiquilá. can be reached from Playa del Carmen, Tulum or Cancun. The easiest way is a two-and-a-half-hour drive from Playa del Carmen by taxi or colectivo. But the more recommended option is an ADO bus, which takes a little longer, but is much cheaper and safer. It is not recommended to rent a car on the way to Holbox, since you will not be able to continue with it to the island itself and therefore you will have to leave it in Chiquilá. before getting on the ferry.
Ferry hours from Chiquilá to Holbox and back – Click Here
What to do in Holbox?
• Tour with Whale Sharks: whale sharks visit the beaches in front of Holbox Island during their breeding season, which lasts from June to September. If you come in season, swimming with whale sharks is a must! This is one of the few places in the world where you can swim with them in the open sea (they are not dangerous).
• The Glowing Plankton Tour: Holbox Island has a perfect beach where you can see this wonderful biological phenomenon called the glowing planktons. This is a spectacular event where the coastal waters are illuminated by thousands of microorganisms that meet the waves. This event occurs every night of the year but is more visible in April and November when the water is warmer. You can go on a tour of the reserve every night for free.
• The Three Islands Tour: considered one of the most popular tours. During this tour, you will see the beautiful Yalahau Lagoon surrounded by lush vegetation. On the shore of the lagoon, you will visit the natural pool Ojo de Agua. The next visit is Morena Island, also called Isla Pájaros, which is home to more than 140 species of birds. There you can also see flamingo birds. Your last stop is Isla Pasion, a small, secluded beach with an abundance of bright pink shells.
• Walk among the street art paintings of the island: Holbox Island is considered one of the most colorful places in Mexico. There are beautiful murals on every street!
• Rest on a hammock on one of the beaches: Holbox Island has many hammocks. The perfect place to cool off after a trip to the beach. You can also find hammocks in beach clubs, or just somewhere between two palm trees.
Click here to go to the full list – Recommended Attractions in Holbox
Hotels in Holbox:
As part of the authentic nature of the island, you will not find many luxury hotels in Holbox. However, in recent years, with the increase in the number of tourists going on vacation in Holbox, the number of hotels has also been increasing.
Recommended hotels in Holbox:
– Villas Flamingo
– Mystique Holbox by Royalton
– Villas HM Palapas
– Holbox Dream
Click here to go to the full list – Recommended Hotels in Holbox
Restaurants in Holbox:
Holbox has become a popular place for restaurant lovers. With a wide variety of authentic local restaurants, street food stalls, and healthy restaurants.
Here are some recommended restaurants:
– Viva Zapata
– Roots Pizzas
– Holbox Foodie Market
– Casa Lupita Restaurant
Click here to go to the full list – Recommended Restaurants in Holbox
Unlike the main destinations, you won’t find fancy nightlife on Holbox Island. Still, there are several local bars that you can go to and spend the night at:
– Moskito Bar
– Alma Bar