Information about Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen used to be a small fishing town known mainly for its port, which was used to transfer goods to the opposite island of Cozumel. Playa del Carmen (or “Playa” as many call it), is the third largest city in the state of Quintana Roo, in Mexico. Having grown steadily over the past few years, Playa has become a tourist metropolis.
Today, Playa del Carmen is considered the most important destination for those looking to absorb some of the Mexican cultures and at the same time enjoy a luxurious and pampering vacation. Its central location, combined with relatively affordable prices, attracts many visitors to the city from all over the world.
Blue-turquoise beaches, a wide variety of excellent restaurants, rich nightlife full of bars and clubs, shopping centers, and local stalls. You won’t get enough of all the various destinations around, the attractions, parks, and day trips. In Playa del Carmen you will find everything!
The Weather in Playa del Carmen:
In principle, the seasons in the Caribbean region are divided into two – the dry season and the rainy season.
The dry season – is from December to the end of May. However, in the months of December-January, the temperatures are a little low (especially at night). The best time to go to the Caribbean is from the beginning of March to the end of May. These months are also hot and this is also considered a less rainy season.
The wet season – is from June to November. In the summer months, from June to August. These are the hottest months of the year, but also the rainiest. From September to November the heat gradually decreases and so do the rainy days. This is a very unpredictable period in terms of weather. There can be good days and days a little less sunny.
It is important to remember that this is an area with a tropical climate. Therefore the weather is unstable and it is very difficult to predict several months ahead. It is always recommended to check the forecast before arriving.
How to get to Playa del Carmen:
To get to Playa del Carmen, you will first need to take a flight to Cancun Airport.
If you are already in the area, you can reach Playa from any destination in Mexico and by any means of transportation. You can get there by taxi, bus, colectivo, or private car rental.
• From Cancun to Playa del Carmen – one hour drive
• From Tulum to Playa del Carmen – one hour drive
• From Cozumel to Playa del Carmen by ferry – 40 minutes
• From Chiquila to Playa del Carmen – 3 hours drive
• From Bacalar Lagoon to Playa del Carmen – 4-hour drive
• From Chichen Itza to Playa del Carmen – 3.5 hours drive
• The Pink Lakes Playa del Carmen – 4-hour drive
What to do in Playa del Carmen:
• Fifth Avenue (Quinta Avenida): If Playa del Carmen is the heart of the Riviera Maya, Fifth Avenue is the soul of Playa del Carmen. The boulevard, which is about 4 km long, is considered a colorful pedestrian promenade full of restaurants, bars, nightclubs, fashion stores, art galleries, and more. A walk along 5th Avenue is considered an experience in itself.
• Daytrip at the beach: Playa’s beaches are frequented by many guests almost every day of the week. The most famous beaches are Mamita Beach and Playa Car Beach.
• A wide variety of attractions: at Playa, you will find all the possible attractions. From water sports including jet skis, diving, and snorkeling to ATV tours and skydiving.
• Going on day trips and parks: from Playa del Carmen you can go out and visit all the surrounding destinations. A fun day in one of the parks or a day trip to the most beautiful places in the Caribbean region of Mexico. All of these are convenient and recommended to do while you are in Playa.
Recommended Day Trips:
– Bacalar Lagoon
– Holbox Island
– Day trip to Cozumel Island
– A trip to Chichen Itza
– The Pink Lakes
– Cenote trips: Cenote Eden and Cenote Azul
Click here to go to the full list – Recommended Attractions in Playa del Carmen
Hotels in Playa del Carmen:
In Playa del Carmen you will find a wide variety of accommodation options at affordable prices compared to the other main destinations in Riviera Maya. From simple hostels, holiday apartments, and boutique hotels in the city center to luxury holiday villages on the beach. Whether you are a backpacker or a traveler looking for a luxury vacation, you can be sure that in Playa you will find the perfect accommodation for you.
Recommended Hotels in Playa del Carmen:
– Grand Hyatt
– Thompson Main House
– Thompson Beach House
– The Fives Downtown
– The Reef 28
Click here to go to the full list – Recommended Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Restaurants in Playa del Carmen:
In Playa del Carmen there is a huge number of restaurants of all tastes and types. A combination of luxury restaurants and authentic Mexican food. Most of the restaurants and food stalls are on 5th Avenue but not only there. You will find many good restaurants also in the streets that are close to the avenue.
Recommended Restaurants in Playa del Carmen:
• Sonora Prime – Meat
• Don Mario – Italian
• Sushi Club
• Chez Celine – French Coffee
• Mu. Burgerhouse Av. 10
• Don Sirlion – Tacos / Burrito local restaurant
Nightlife in Playa del Carmen:
Playa del Carmen is known for its vibrant nightlife that attracts many young visitors every year. From bars and pubs on Fifth Avenue or on the beach to huge crowded clubs. In Playa, you will find the right place to go out and have fun every day of the week. Most of the places are centered around Fifth Avenue between the 6th and 12th streets.
Recommended Bars and Clubs in Playa del Carmen:
– Coco Bongo
– La Vaquita
– Tequila Barrel
– Roof Club
Click here to go to the full list – Recommended Clubs in Playa del Carmen
Shopping in Playa del Carmen:
Playa del Carmen is definitely the ideal destination for those looking to go out and do some shopping. Most of the shops and stalls are on Fifth Avenue. From art details, home tools, or clothing details in the traditional Mexican style to a wide variety of leading brand stores.
Malls in Playa del Carmen:
– Paseo Del Carmen
– Quinta Alegria
– Calle Corazon